Who is Freindlygeek?

My photo
Science/technology geek. Passionate for self learning, open education.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

[Programming]Back to Python!

I just made a simple calculator in python yesterday. Even though I've been learning python since November last year, I didn't quite make much things. Well, that is because I changed to learn another langauge after I got the basic. I learned python, c++ a little(I mean really little) and C(I got also basic of C).

I think one of the problem is that as I'm learning along the language, I often want to build a fancy stuff in the end. Usually that doesn't happen since I'm only learning the language, but not operating system or network at this point. So I found myself not able to build a cool program, I just switched to another language hoping that in the end of the learning langauge I will be able to build some cool stuff.

Ofcourse that's not going to happen! So I realized I need to start with really simple program that is working in my computer first and then make it bigger and more useful as I learn other required knowledge. (I've been only studying computer science my first term which has been 4 months so far! I didn't even know what linux is when I started it. :p)


So, I am back to Python! I'm planning to read through some books first, and make a small program for fun. Also there is a program that I've been wanting to make to help other self learner better way to organize their study, so I will try to make it in python by the end of May!

One thing what I realized with this self education project is that I should have a small project along with regular classes such as caculus, disrcete mathematics etc. The reason is that computer science is not only about mathematics or solving equations, but more use them into solving problems that I'm facing. Since I'm not in regular academic environment now, what I think is that take advantage of this situation by trying to use theories that I'm learning in real world situation.
Although it is not really that easy and sometimes I just have no idea how I can use those mathematical skills in my programming study or any everyday situation, I'm still trying.

So I already have a small project in my mind for the 2nd term starting from June. So for now I will focus on python and put my code on Github. Now my code will be incredibly simple and not really helpful for other developers or programmers to solve other problems or to tinker with. However I want to make a sort of code journal which will allow me to keep track of my improvements as well as sharing learning program experience with other beginner programmers.

Anyway, May this year will not be the most boring month in my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License