Who is Freindlygeek?

My photo
Science/technology geek. Passionate for self learning, open education.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

[MIT OCW CS/SE project] Progress checking (Mar - 1)

*This project is NOT affiliated with MIT at all.

So I've been studying using MIT OCW since Feb. First, it has been working quite well for several reasons, though there have been some changes in detail.
I decided to write a checking note twice a month, once in 2 weeks. That way I can keep track of how I've been doing, what things have changed. Plus potentially this chronicle of my self educaiton can give some actual help about problems or advantages to other self learner(freak like me? :p).

Some changes

1. I dropped out Computer structures and interepretation for computer programs

-> The main reason is that I do not intend to use LISP any near in the future. Instead of LISP, I've been studying C programming. I guess some may say that studying LISP will give me a good understanding of how computer program is structured. However, I thought learning C programming language should give me a fundumental knowledge after all.

2. Start again with Circuits and Electronics

-> I guess it is my third time to start over. Well, that's because I'd been studying this before I started off the project and I decided to take from the start. Then MITx came out a month ago, and it seems that it would provide a better structured  envorinment to study. I was a middle of lecture 9, and honestly I didn't do quite much follow up to review as much as I was supposed to do. My first term is supposed to be done by the end of May at the lastest. I have more time to review through one more time for better understanding before I encounter other difficulties for further study.

3. Do homeworks!

-> Actually I haven't done any homeworks because there are no solutions. If there is no solution to figure out what the answer is, I found out that it is useless to spend time on it. But what I've been learning so far is that I should do enough exercies as I go on, because other wise I 'm just taking a lecture and that's all. Though it has been quite great to learn/brush up math so far.
For the next few weeks, I will try to finish all the exercised that I have missed so far.

Feedbacks and new ideas for self education


1. Be a teacher and student at the same time
-> It is double sword about self education. I found that it is quite fun to find my own answers and any resources, but at the same time it feels that I might be doing something wrong. However, it is a great advantage that I can take of as a self learner beacuase it gives me think independently and find a way to solve by myself.

2. Idea of a discussion group online
-> I just came accross this idea today. The initial point of this idea was kind of similar reason with lack of guideline above, but it is a bit different. Since all this project is taken care of by me, that means it is quite hard to find any folks around to discuss on some problems. Altough MIT OCW has a connection to open study, it doesn't seem very active.

I've been taking some seminar not exactly on regular basis, but I have watched a few seminars on MIT world from time to time. So what I want to do is to form a group to meet up online through skype for more lively discussion once a week or two weeks. Since my interests are farily oriented to inventions, technology, computer, biosensor stuff, I should think of a way to find people who are interested in this. (Anyone who's interested in this, please email me! :))
Well the topic doesn't have to neccessarily only about technology or science though.

Anyway, I've gained so many lessons about not only math and computer science but also when I understand better about the subject, how I can actually apply  the knowledges for real world and how I can use other resources to help my study etc. Hopefully I will enjoy as much as I did in the next half month!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License